This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
These Instant Pot short ribs are delectably flavorful, fall-apart tender (without the long time commitment that’s normally needed for cooking boneless beef short ribs), and SO EASY. Let me show you how to cook short ribs in the best and fastest way with this easy beef short ribs recipe.
When I first got my Instant Pot, I spent a lot of time experimenting with pressure cooker recipes. And when it came time to figure out how to cook boneless short ribs, I was pleased to discover that using the Instant Pot makes this a quick short rib recipe — no hours upon hours of braising time necessary!
What Are Beef Short Ribs?
What kind of meat is short ribs? It’s not what you might think! Surprisingly, boneless beef short ribs are not actually rib meat. They are cut from the chuck, or shoulder, but can be harder to find. Bone-in short ribs come from the belly and are much fattier than boneless. Both types of short ribs are incredibly tough cuts of meat, but when cooked properly, you can cut them with a fork.
Why You’ll Love This Beef Short Ribs Recipe
- Savory, rich flavor
- Tender, fall-off-the-bone short ribs
- Made with just 5 simple ingredients
- Just 5 minutes prep time, with hands-off cook time
- Easy to make ahead
- Works with bone-in or boneless short ribs
Ingredients For Instant Pot Short Ribs
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for beef short ribs in the Instant Pot, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Boneless Beef Short Ribs – Buy boneless beef short ribs, but if you can’t find them, many butchers will actually remove the bones from bone-in short ribs for you, which is what I did for this boneless short rib recipe. You can also make it using bone-in short ribs if you prefer — you’ll just need to add 10 minutes to the cook time.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Olive Oil – For sauteing. Avocado oil also works.
- Beef Broth – The Instant Pot always requires some liquid for pressure cooking, and beef broth is one of the most flavorful choices. For an even richer sauce and more nutrition, use bone broth.
- Coconut Aminos – This is similar to soy sauce, with a combination of salty, sweet, and umami flavors. Soy sauce is also fine to use.
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic cloves for best flavor or jarred garlic for convenience.
VARIATIONS: Up the flavor with other additions.
This recipe uses just five ingredients to keep it as simple as possible. However, you can definitely make it even more flavorful by adding:rnu003culu003ern tu003cliu003eu003cstrongu003eOnionu003c/strongu003e – Saute 1/2 of a diced white or yellow onion before adding the garlic.u003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eu003cstrongu003eRed Wineu003c/strongu003e – Add 1/2 cup of merlot or cabernet sauvignon together with the broth.u003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eu003cstrongu003eBalsamic Vinegaru003c/strongu003e – Add 1/4 cup of balsamic with the broth.u003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eu003cstrongu003eFresh Herbsu003c/strongu003e – Such as fresh thyme sprigs, fresh rosemary sprigs, or both. Add right before pressure cooking, then discard at the end.u003c/liu003ernu003c/ulu003e
How To Cook Short Ribs In The Instant Pot
This section shows how to make this Instant Pot short rib recipe, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Dry. Pat the beef dry with paper towels.
- Season. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. This step helps to build flavor throughout the cooking process. Don’t skimp, you need a generous amount!
- Sear short ribs. Brown the short ribs in the Instant Pot using the Sauté setting. Cook in batches to avoid crowding the pan, or they will steam instead of brown. Remove short ribs and set aside.
- Saute garlic. Add oil and garlic and saute for just a minute.
- Deglaze. Add beef broth and coconut aminos to the pressure cooker, and use a spoon to stir, scraping up any of the yummy browned bits off the bottom. Place the short ribs back in there, along with a bay leaf, if using, and place the lid on and seal.
- Pressure cook. For boneless Instant Pot short ribs, set the time to 40 minutes, or increase to 50 minutes for bone-in pressure cooker short ribs. When they are done, let the natural release do its thing for 10 minutes before switching to manual release.
TIP: Don’t skip the pressure cooker natural release.
This helps the beef short ribs finish cooking and helps them come out tender.
- Thicken sauce. Simmer the sauce with gelatin powder on the Saute setting (it’s easy and worth it!).
Do You Have To Brown Short Ribs?
You don’t have to brown short ribs. But you should! Browning takes just a few minutes, and will help add rich flavor to the pressure cooker short ribs. It makes a huge difference!
Can You Make Slow Cooker Short Ribs?
Yes, you can make the same easy short ribs recipe in a slow cooker. It will take approximately 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High. However, it’s more cleanup because you’ll have to sear the short ribs separately on the stove first.
- Store: Keep leftover beef short ribs in fridge for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Reheat short ribs in the oven together with the sauce, covered in foil, for best results. You can microwave, but be careful to not overcook, or the meat will dry out.
- Freeze: Store short ribs in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months. Let the ribs cool completely, then place in a freezer-safe glass dish. Cover with the sauce/cooking liquid and then freeze.
What To Serve With Short Ribs
Serve this braised beef short ribs recipe with mashed potatoes and carrots for traditional sides, or with a healthy vegetable side dish:
More Tender Meat Recipes
If you love the best beef short ribs recipe (I know you will!), you might also like some of these other tender meat recipes:
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Easy Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs (5 Ingredients!)
Wondering how to cook short ribs? This Instant Pot beef short ribs recipe makes it EASY with just 5 ingredients. Use bone-in or boneless beef short ribs — both will come out tender and flavorful.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total: 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings: 10 (adjust to scale recipe)
Tap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Instant Pot Short Ribs:
Pat the short ribs dry with paper towels.
Use sea salt and black pepper to generously season the short ribs on both sides.
Set the Instant Pot to Saute on High (or “More”). Add oil and let it heat up until hot.
Once oil is hot, add the short ribs in a single layer. Sear for about 5 minutes per side, until browned. You will need to do this in two batches, so that they are not too crowded. Set all the short ribs aside outside the pan as you get through them.
Add the minced garlic to the empty Instant Pot, and saute for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
Add the broth and coconut aminos to the Instant Pot. Use a wooden spoon to release any browned bits of garlic from the bottom of the pan (deglaze it). Shut off the saute function.
Place the short ribs back into the Instant Pot, crowding them together in a single layer. Push the bay leaves into the broth, if using (optional). Close the lid and set the pin to Seal. Cook on High pressure for 40 minutes. Use Natural Release for 10 minutes, then Quick Release if there is any pressure left.
At this point, you can shred the short ribs or leave them whole.
Optional Steps For Thicker Sauce:
Remove the short ribs, leaving the liquid behind, and cover the short ribs with foil to keep warm. Set the Instant Pot to the Saute function.
Sprinkle gelatin (don’t dump it) over the liquid in the Instant Pot, one tablespoon at a time, whisking rapidly and immediately after each sprinkle.
Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens. If it’s still not as thick as you like, add more gelatin and repeat.
Serving size: 1/4 lb meat + sauce
How to make bone-in short ribs: You can make this a bone-in short rib recipe, too. The weight will be approximately 3-3.5 lb, and you will need to increase the cook time to 50 minutes.
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 1g
Net Carbs 1g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂